Monday, August 18, 2008

Symptoms Of Wonky Thyroid Health

Thyroid Health
Thyroid Wonky?

Well, first and foremost, to properly check your thyroid health, your doctor is the one that makes the call with a blood test. But you know that already! :)

What are some of the signs I should watch for that will lead me to get tested? That is the million dollar question, isn't it? Some of the signs of hypothyroidism (underactive thyroid) are:
  1. Feeling tired quite often. With me, I was tired when I awoke in the morning, was tired at work all day and drank a lot of caffeine to try and battle that, came home and was feeling tired enough to want to go back to bed and sleep. I wanted about 10 or more hours of sleep per night. Last time I checked, a human's adult life is busy enough that 10 or more hours of sleep is not even an option!
  2. Your hair can start thinning (noticeably even sometimes...). It can also feel dry and brittle with more than normal breakage. Thyroid health and hair health go hand in hand.
  3. You can develop a goiter (that lovely lump in your throat that is noticeable sometimes, depending on how severe the condition of your thyroid health).
  4. Weight gain. This is usually the big one. Unfortunately, this symptom usually prompts people that gain weight to always have it checked...I mean, who wouldn't want to fix their weight gain with a pill? I know I did years before I did have to take a daily pill. But you cannot always blame just your thyroid health for weight gain...sometimes it's just us.
There are others as well; some of the other symptoms are associated with specific types of thyroid health. One of the troubles with recognizing thyroid issues is that a lot of the symptoms are similar to those of depression, and if you are dealing with depression at the same time, sometimes one does not get diagnosed right away.

As for me, I was dealing with depression when I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism. So, I got to take 2 pills for a while rather than just one. Oh well, things have worked out for me so far.

Just one major reminder about thyroid health...if left untreated, it can lead to heart disease...take your pills!!! And, to lose some extra weight from the wonky thyroid health, you need to exercise. Controlling your calories through a nutrition plan alone will not make you healthier except for the fact that you might weigh the right amount. I have lost 18 lbs in 57 days and at least 10 inches (was going to measure to give more accurate results, but not at this specific time during the month...). I used a no nonsense approach to begin losing the weight (I have 34 more lbs to go for a total loss of 52 lbs). Here is the link for the program I used to lose this weight.

~Brownie

P.S. I work from home. If working from home sounds like something you are interested in, you should check out what I do. http://www.workfromhome.com

Thyroid Health

No comments: